Prior to opening Beacon Management's office in Florida in 1985, Mr. Donnelly held the positions of: Chief Financial Officer - advertising sales and franchising; General Manager - specialty retail sales and franchising; and, Corporate Controller - real estate development, property management and hotels.
Mr. Donnelly entered industry in 1979 after a career in public accounting that began in 1973. While in public accounting he provided accounting, auditing, tax and management advisory services to a wide range of businesses with both a local and international public accounting firm.
Mr. Donnelly has taught accounting and information systems, small business management and entrepreneurship, and strategic management and business policy at the fourth year state university level, and computer auditing to professional accounting students. He has given seminars locally, regionally and nationally on topics including business planning, strategic planning, franchising, corporate finance, information management, dashboards and KPIs and turnaround management. He has provided in-house training for senior executives and has given seminars to entrepreneurs from the Caribbean and Israel and to government officials from Belarus and China. He has been a workshop leader in programs sponsored by HUD to help public housing residents start their own business. He has authored articles on management, finance, franchising and planning. He has appeared on television and radio.
Mr. Donnelly has been active in the South Florida business community. He has held the following positions:
- Chair, Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce
- Chair, Enterprise Ambassador Program (founded by R. David Thomas, founder of Wendy's International, to teach high school juniors and seniors about the rights, responsibilities and opportunities of America's free enterprise system)
- Chair, Florida Atlantic University Small Business Development Center Advisory Board
- Chair, CEO Advisory Council (Uptown Business Association)
- Chair, Uptown Business Council (an operating council of the Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce)
- Founding President, Canadian American Business Alliance of South Florida
(now known as the Canadian American Chamber of Commerce of South Florida)
- President, Gold Coast Venture Capital Club
(now known as the Gold Coast Venture Capital Association)
- President, Uptown Business Association
- Chair, Government Affairs, Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce
- Chair, Chamber Rewards Card, Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce
- Director, Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce
- Director, The Broward Alliance
- Director, Association for Corporate Growth (South Florida Chapter)
- Director, National Association of Accountants (Fort Lauderdale Chapter)
- Member, Executive Advisory Board, Florida Atlantic University, College of Business
- Member, Enterprise Development Corp. of South Florida - Client Advisory Panel (a program of Enterprise Florida)
- Member, Gold Coast Venture Forum Executive Committee
- Trustee, Board of Trade Political Action Committee (Greater Pompano Beach Chamber of Commerce)
- Editor, Gold Coast Venture Capital Club Newsletter
Mr. Donnelly served as Chair of the Florida Small Business Development Center Network State Advisory Board from 1995 to 2013. The FSBDC Network is a statewide service network, funded in part through a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Small Business Administration. The program successfully links the state's education system with community outreach to provide managerial and technical assistance to the state's early stage, emerging and growth businesses. A role that was recognized by the Florida State Legislature when it designated the Florida Small Business Development Center Network as the principal business assistance organization for small businesses in the state [§ 288.001, Fla. Stat.].
Mr. Donnelly served as a director of NatBank, the Florida retail banking subsidiary of the National Bank of Canada, a major Canadian bank.
He organized two international health care conferences featuring participants from Canada, the U.S., Latin America and the Caribbean.
Mr. Donnelly's professional memberships have included: Chartered Professional Accountants of British Columbia (fka: Institute of Chartered Accountants of British Columbia), Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada (fka: Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants), Association of Chartered Accountants in the United States, Turnaround Management Association, Association of Insolvency Accountants, National Association of Accountants and the Society of Competitive Intelligence Professionals.
Mr. Donnelly was selected an "Outstanding Young Man of America" (1988) and he has received the Greater Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce - Small Business Award (1999). He has been included in Marquis Who's Who in the South and Southwest, Who's Who in America and has been the recipient of the Marquis Who's Who Lifetime Achievement Award.